Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Is It Spring yet??

The plans are drawn, the boundaries are set, and we have over 1000 seeds waiting to be sown. .. Time for some outside beautification!!
After what seemed to be a long winter (and I know it is still not over), we are looking forward to heading outside. Julie has been looking to get her garden going since we moved in, and I have to say that the bug has hit me as well. I have never been an avid gardener, but there is something about the planning aspect that I really enjoy.
We have, with the help of some great friends, come up with a plan that will encompass most of the rear yard by enlarging the beds that we have already started. In my usually OCD standards, I have drafted up a scaled plan of the backyard as well as a spread sheet of the seeds and plants we have along with some that we plan to get from friends in the neighborhood. I have quickly learned that plants are not as expensive when you have friends and neighbors that know about gardening. Traditionally I have always set off to the local DIY stores to gather what ever I could afford, and while this works fairly well you end up spending way more on plants that may or may not live. With the "divide and conquer" method, you not only get healthy mature plants that you know will grow in your region, but the mother plants get some growing room. Every one wins!!
The seeds we have purchased (about $30 for the whole lot of over 1000) came from a seller on ebay, a venture I may take up in the future. Though this type of purchasing is a lot less expensive, you also have a potential for a lot less plants. For the money it is still a wise investment given you do your homework throughout the process. I would also advice checking the internet for ways to save money on planting ideas. For instance I have found a site that shows how to make seed pots out of newspaper. Not only does this save tons of cash (about $7 per 40 seeds) but it is extremely environmentally friendly. Another trick is to check at your local co-op for free mulch and compost. We will be setting up a compost pile with our garden plan, but for now, we will be relying on top soil mixed with free compost from friends.

No comments: